Oh my goodness. Let me just start with I can not believe my baby is 1! Not gunna lie kinda makes me feel old! I had all these visions in my head of how his 1st birthday would go and nothing really went as planned. I have always talked to Alex about how I want every one of our kids birthdays to feel special....take off work and do the whole nine yards to know our kids are loved so much and we are celebrating them! However, it just happened to be one of
those days.
Reilly woke up sick with a stuffy/running nose and coughing. I felt so bad for the poor little guy. I could tell he didn't feel his best but was still smiling. The first thing we did when he woke up was sing him happy birthday at 7:22 am (when he was born.) Once the song was over we read him the book "On the night you were born". If you haven't read that book you need to! Its so cute and just such an amazing book. The first time I read it in the store I was hooked. One of my favorites by far! After we sang and read him the book we came downstairs and he got to open presents. One of the presents he opened was his new Rock with me Elmo with guitar and key board from Grandma and Grandpa Keller. He loved it! Although.. he didn't want to share the toys with Elmo much!
For breakfast we took him to Dunkin' Donuts. I think he was in heaven (unfortunately he def got my sweet tooth and love for junk food) because he was smiling through every bite! When we came back we let him play with all his new toys for a bit then put him down for a nap. However..he was not having it! Luckily he fell asleep for about 45 minutes(which turned out to be his only nap so I am thankful he at least fell asleep for a little bit!) After his nap he got to spend time playing with rufus and showing him all his new toys and how they work.
On the night of his birthday we threw him a birthday party. We invited friends we have made on base and family. Although it was a bit (who can I fool...a lot) stressful we got through it. :) One thing I have learned being a mother is never to expect anything happening the way you envisioned or planned it to. Something I am still getting used to! I had all these amazing ideas from pinterest and like always thought I could do it all myself without a hitch. Needless to say, it didn't go off without a hitch (we weren't ready in time) but Reilly seemed to have a great time and that's all that matters in the end. He def didn't know it was all for him and was at times walking around like a tired little zombie... but he got to have chicken nuggets and cake so he was a happy camper!
 |
| enjoying his birthday breakfast from Dunkin Donuts! |
 |
| playing with his new toys |
 |
| running around his birthday party |
 |
| yay he is 1! |
 |
| he didn't know what to do with the cake til we gave it to him...Yup I baby him but he is my BABY! :) |
 |
| yum... |
 |
| mmmm messy cake kisses for momma! |
 |
| so happy |
 |
| lovin' my cousin liz! |
 |
| having fun washing up after his cake! |
I am so thankful for our friends and family to help put it all together. Without Heather Julseth I would not have frosted cupcakes and without the McMenamy's the room would not have been put together as far as it had when everyone else showed up and we probably would not have pictures! So a HUGE thank you to them and to my everyone else that helped!
Alex and I already talked about it and next year we might just be ordering pizza and getting a few balloons so atleast we can enjoy it and relax too! (I already did all the work last year right!!!!!!!???!!!!!)
Reilly seemed to enjoy his birthday but like mine...we will be celebrating it for a week so look forward to more pics to come! :)
It's always stressful to do a big first birthday but so worth it! He had fun an that's all that matters :)
ReplyDelete